Kashmiri Dum Aloo
An authentic kashmiri dum aloo is a simple to make no onion, no garlic recipe.
An authentic kashmiri dum aloo is a simple to make no onion, no garlic recipe. The delicious gravy is heavy on spices, and is made in such a way that the potatoes soak up all the masala.
- 4-5 large Potatoes, boiled and peeled or 15 baby Potatoes
- 4 tablespoons Rice Bran Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Asafetida or Hing
- 1 teaspoon Shah Jeera
- 3 tablespoons Kashmiri Red Chili Powder mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup Yogurt, whisked till smooth
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger Powder
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- If using large potatoes, quarter each potato.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, and add the potatoes. Shallow fry them till golden brown on all sides. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- To the same oil, add hing and shah jeera. Saute for 30 seconds and add the red chili paste. Cook this for a minute or too.
- Slowly add yogurt to the pan while whisking continuously so that the yogurt does not split. Add fennel powder, ginger powder, water and salt and bring this to a quick boil.
- Add the potatoes and mix well. Cover and cook this for 15 minutes or till the gravy thickens up. Serve hot.